Wednesday 8 February 2012

Elephant in the studio..















At the beginning of the year I started reviewing old work, writing out a massive critique of issues I had with my paintings (it is seriously humungous btw) Basically, I figured that a lot of the work was pretty uneven in theme/meaning, style & particularly composition.

The sketch stuff I do is pretty illustrative & quite dark I guess and tends to be a wee bit at odds with the painty, fine arty bits. So really, it's trying to find some middle ground with the new series of paintings...

To loosen some of that concrete between my ears, I've been reading a few books lately which have helped enormously. Juliette Aristides book on Atelier has been brilliant & is choc full o' technical tips. Re-reading my old Barthes book Mythologies is helping a ton with thematics.

The above drawing is just a quick wee head study (on very dodgy printer paper) B5 pencil.

Sketchbook stuff to follow..